Thursday 13 August 2009

Tony Cliff: selecting and searching

I thought I'd point out a few things you will find on this blog. In the right sidebar I've put various items I regard as valuable components in any Cliff archive. There's all 3 parts of the 1996 talk on Lenin (complete with wittily edited animations), which I've commented on previously.

You will find a number of articles about Cliff that I think capture very important elements of his poltical character and ideas - I've commented already on the John Rees tribute, but I also recommend the Paul Foot and David Renton articles. Ian Birchall's reflections on researching his biography of Cliff are also there - this paper was the inspiration for my previous post - and I've included his excellent article on Cliff in 1968 too.

I've included a small selection of Cliff's writings, courtesy of the Marxists Internet Archive which now has a mass of Cliff material. I've mainly picked fairly short pieces and they are all, I think, particularly good in different ways. They are essentially the pieces I'm posting here, and commenting on, but of course I haven't got round to all of them yet!

There are also guides to searching further, including the most exhaustive bibliography available (prepared by Ian Birchall in the early days of working on the as yet unpublished biography). The material archive - including various papers unearthed in Cliff's home after he died - are held at Warwick University, but the online archive at MIA is the next best thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment